Monday, March 23, 2009

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups

I've been seeing these cute little cups all over Tastespotting and Foodgawker lately and I would have never though to make my own Reeses cups but it seemed like a fun little project and when I saw a version done in dark chocolate, I knew I had to try it! Since I've also been planning on making Bakerella's Cupcake Bites, I bought a candy mold from Michael's that made these super easy to make. 


I decided to use crunchy peanut butter that made it extremely hard to mix, so I suggest not doing that, but if you'd like to work it out, the crunchy bits made it extra yummy! I suggest using the amount of crunchy peanut butter below and then adding two more tablespoons of smooth peanut butter to ease the mixing. The sweetness of the filling balanced out the dark chocolate really well, they were extremely delicious if you love chocolate and peanut butter (I don't know who doesn't) and I can't stand how cute these were!


Dark Chocolate Crunchy Peanut Butter Cups

Yields: 12 - 16 mini peanut butter cups

Original recipe can be found here.


Printable Recipe


8 oz. bittersweet chocolate

1/3 cup crunchy or smooth peanut butter

1/4 cup powdered sugar

1/4 cup crushed graham crackers



In a bowl mix together the peanut butter, powdered sugar, and crushed graham crackers, set aside. Melt the chocolate either by a double boiler or by a microwave in 30 second intervals until smooth. To make the cups you can either use a candy mold or a mini cupcake pan lined with mini liners. Using a pastry brush or a small spoon, spread the melted chocolate along the bottom and sides of the mold or liner. Let harden in freezer for about 10 - 15 minutes. Remove them from the freezer and then fill them with about a teaspoon of the peanut butter mixture, smooth into the bottom of the chocolate cup. Spoon more of the melted chocolate on the top of the peanut butter mixture to cover out to the edges. Put in the freezer again to harden, about 10 - 15 minutes. If desired, melt some white chocolate and use a piping bag to pipe patterns on the top. Enjoy!!!


5 comments:

  1. I could kill for one of these right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those look way too bite-sized. i'd prob. end up throwing them all in my mouth in one palmful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfectly-sized! These look wonderful, I really gotta get the ball rolling on making these...

    ReplyDelete
  5. First I hear all about Reese's Peanut Butter Cups on the radio (a talk radio show I listen to), NOW THIS. I think God is giving me a sign. These look GREAT! I love the dark chocolate!

    ReplyDelete